Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sucker

I'll admit it. I'm a sucker. If I ever come across an infomercial, I have to watch it. I start out scoffing, but within 10 min. I've decided I just HAVE to have those awesome knives that cut through aluminum cans or the Shark vacuum cleaner that picks up nails. Never mind that I've yet to serve tin for dinner or had a need to clean up a construction site via vacuum cleaner. Now the latest contraption on my list is The Magic Bullet. I had seen the actors whip up salsa and smoothies in mere seconds on T.V., but the clincher was when I went home two weeks ago and my mom had actually purchased The Magic Bullet! I had a delicious fruit smoothie for breakfast every morning and now I was as hooked as a trout on a line. Now some may ask, why the need for the individual sized cups? That my friend, is the essence of the Bullet. No big blender to clean up! The blender becomes your cup and washes as easy as a glass in the top rack of the dishwasher. I am a "dish consolidator". My mother is not. Which is interesting considering that she bought the Bullet. I can make a whole pan of enchiladas and only dirty one pot, a bowl, and the pan that they bake in. When my mom came to visit, I think she used every pot and bowl in my kitchen to make enchiladas. This is humorous, but beside the point. I now feel like the Bullet is my destiny. I woke up this morning, turned on the T.V. and wouldn't you know it, the Magic Bullet infomercial was on! The complete 21 piece system was selling for only three easy payments of $33.33!! But wait! There's more! Order now and get the second system completely free! That's all I needed to hear! Of course I only needed one system, but I could sell the second one on Craig's list. It was the perfect plan. I had the number written down and was up in bed, waking Travis to beg for it, in mintues. He just paused, sighed, and said "whatever you want". (He's gotten really good at responding to my requests this way!) However, I know it means he really doesn't think we need it, but he's not going to tell me no. Funny how giving me the go-ahead actually has the opposite effect. I got to thinking, we're poor students. I guess we don't really, technically need the super cool Bullet. I could probably spend $50 on something practical like the phone bill I always forget to pay. Sigh. Being practical never has a bright side. So I will go without my dish consolidating- uber cool smoothie maker for a while longer. I guess I still have my completely useless Shark to ease my pain. If only it sucked up hair as well as it sucks up screws....

11 comments:

Jacob and Katie said...

Haha, my dad and Jacob are the same. I've tried doing the"We are not trading 8 hours of mopping and serving for a *insert infomercial item here*" It never works with those tricky adds, especially when Oprah backs it up.

Retro Plants said...

this is so funny Steph because i have wanted the Magic Bullet for 3 years now! Pace is so sick of me talking about how "cool" it is and how much it can do. . .
the infomercials are *hilarious*!
the staged acting and the Australian spokespeople are just a crack up!
i have almost bought a magic bullet like five times. . . key word "almost". . . then i read customer reviews about the Magic Bullet and about 99% of them say that the Magic Bullet works *wonderfully* for like a month and then just dies! dumb!
so i have opted not to get one. . . but did you know that you can buy them at Target? something to think about! :)

Hiatt Family said...

That's hilarious...Lincoln loves infomercials too. It kind of drives me crazy. :) Don't you just love the student life? I want a Wii & Wii Fit SO badly but have been good & haven't gotten it. At the dentist the other day I found out a procedure I needed would cost $250 & thought, "Crap, there goes my Wii!" I think that a few times a week...ha ha. Good luck holding out on buying The Magic Bullet!

M Evans said...

Oh tell me how it works; I have had my eye on it for a while now! I think Marcus is the only one in our family that doesn’t enjoy a good infomercial. My kid’s area always trying to sell me on stuff. Ruth was checking my heels the other day to see if I needed the Ped Egg and Neil is trying to get me to upgrade our shark to the new improved one. (I love LOVE my shark btw, works great on my floors (one of the reasons I refuse to upgrade our linoleum to tile or wood) I haven’t touched a broom in over a year!) Infomercials are also great about taking stuff back no questions asked {I’ve found} …

Chase and Shalyse Rogers said...

ha ha, That's so funny. I thought for sure I was the only one who liked to watch infomercials! I have never actually bought anything, because eventually most of the stuff end up in stores. But I still like to watch and hope someday I might get it. Being responsible is no fun sometimes, he he.

Ryan and Megan said...

I can attest to the magic bullet working wonderfully and then dying. It's definitely not all it's cracked up to be. Sad but not surprising, I know.

By the way- ryan and I had so much fun at dinner last week!

bettina said...

Yep, it's a piece of crap! got it a few years ago(at walgreens) and used only a couple times before it died! Don't waste your $!!

Tasha said...

SO funny you blogged about this - I just saw some in my parents cupboard and wondered if they ever actually used them for anything.

mollie said...

Ha ha. When Mike had his jaw surgery two years ago, my mom bought him a magic bullet. He used it a lot then, but now it just sits in my cupboard. I always forget I have it. I'll have to try it and see if it is as magical as everyone says!

Lisa G. Hogle said...

Evan says you remind him of Grandma Evans . . . Let me know if it works though, because I have been wanting one.

Tinkstoy said...

Stephanie...I bought this a few years back and gave one to Grandma Ann & Grandpa Jess and all I can say is I LOVE IT...I use it EVERYDAY no joke..I make my breakfast drink in it every morning and all I can say is it's the best $49.99 I've ever spent. My kids like it too.