Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Not-So-Eternal Flame

More hiking!
Last Tuesday, we decided to go on a little "day adventure" with the Carters. It's about a 30 min. drive south to hike to the "Eternal Flame". It was only 1.3 miles total and didn't take too long, which was just perfect since we both had our little ones with us. Near the end, you hike along a creek until you get to the waterfall that has a natural gas leak behind it. The smell of gas permeated the whole area. It smelled much like my sister's kitchen did when I attempted to cook on her gas stove, but didn't quite know how one worked..... oops. Much to our dismay, the phantom "Eternal Flame" was not burning! Apparently you're supposed to bring a lighter to start it up, as it frequently gets put out by the waterfall. The only reason I knew where it was supposed to be, was because I had seen it on other people's blogs. Thus, we had to give it a thumbs down. :(

The Carter's will never trust us again for leading them on a fruitless treasure hunt!

Trav attempting to be Tarzan.

The Collinator was screaming for food by the time we reached our destination, so the Carters gave me some privacy as I donned my "supermom cape" :) Some hikers up above me weren't so obliging. I looked up when I saw a group of kids waving and shouting hi. Of course I was covered, and only briefly thought about giving them a show. Kidding! We had a great time and would love to find some other good hikes in the area. So I guess I'll just keep blogstalking and copying everyone else's good times :)



3 comments:

Jacob and Katie said...

Thanks for the post, we were just about to do that hike today, but lazied out. Now we won't bother. Hope you enjoyed Letchworth today, THAT is absolutely beautiful!

Tasha said...

Letchworth is amazing! We had a great time there in the fall.

jake and jenni said...

That looks "fun"tastic! you are like hiking bandits! Gorgeous pictures...I almost forgot what actual greenery looks like. (its a little brown here):)