All my life I was told that I look like my dad. Not exactly what every girl wants to hear while growing up! Especially when her two sister's take after their mother, but I don't mind so much anymore. Actually, I would say that any resemblence, looks or otherwise, I have with my dad would be quite a compliment. I do think that we share many characteristics... we are both OCD in some respects. We enjoy a good itinerary, "to-do" lists, planning, neatness, etc. We are both perfectionists and probably too hard on ourselves. I think my dad is a talented teacher, something I'm still working on! He was actually my husband's leader in Young Men's and Travis says he still remembers many lessons that my dad taught. I was also the beneficiary of many "life lessons" taught by my dad through the years. Here's just a few....
My dad has taught me:
1. To be tough!
It was the night before we were to leave to go skiing at Sunrise for our very first time. I was probably about 12. We had rented skiis and my dad was teaching me how to get in and out of the snap/latch thing on the ski. I was pushing on the release and my hand slipped and my thumb nail got bent back way too far and was spurting blood and hurt like a you- know- what. My mom started fussing over me, taking me to the sink to rinse it and trying to find the Advil. All the while my dad is telling my mom that I'm just fine and to get back over there and try again. I just remember thinking, My dad has no heart!! Here I am, majorly injured and he's wanting me to try it again!! Haha. No sympathy. Pain is for sissys, right? You have to be tough!
2. To remember my mom's birthday.
I don't remember how old I was, but it was somewhere in the 6-9 range and my mom's birthday was that weekend. Well my dad though it would be nice if us kids picked out her presents for her. Something from the heart, you know? So he got us all in the car and took us to good ole' Mervyns. I don't know if it was such a good idea to give us free reign on the gifts though, because that year my mom ended up with the tackiest presents, including some gawdy earrings and over-sized t-shirts. One of which I specifically remember said, "NOT!" in big bold letters across the front (remember when that was popular to add on to the end of any sentence?) My dad always did have the best of intentions... :)
3. To eat all your dinner- especially the meat!
When I was away to college I decided I wanted to try out being a vegetarian. Not because I felt strongly about the whole vegetarian "cause" or saving animals, but just because I didn't really enjoy meat and wondered how long I could go without it. Well, I really should have kept this endeavor on the DL, because when my dad found out, I got an email outlining all the reasons why I should not become a leaf eater. I searched EVERYWHERE for it, but to no avail. Sad, because it was quite funny. All I can remember is that he told me that the word vegetarian actually meant "bad hunter" and something about only being able to make it to the telestial kingdom. Oh yeah, and that a certain homosexual acquaintance of ours was a veggy. That was probably offensive to many people on many levels... I apologize.
4. To have fun!
My mom's not the only one who can be groovy :) Some of my favorite memories of my dad were when he would come home from work and take us to the park. We would ride our bikes to the school park down the road (tugging him along as he visited with ALL the neighbors- such a people person) and we would play tag on the playground equipment, run races, and basically just tucker ourselves out. I loved every minute of it. One time he called us over to a long, trough-like drinking fountain and told us to look real hard into the bottom of it. We all obediently looked down, when he smacked his hand into the nasty, stagnant water puddled at the bottom, soaking our faces. I am a germ-a-phob and will NEVER forget that!
On a more serious note, my dad has taught me:
5. To be aware/kind to everyone
On a trip to Utah to go to General Conference, we were checking out of our hotel and the bell-hop happened to be a slightly older, foreign man. I didn't take much notice until after we were in the car and my dad pointed out that the man was probably an immigrant without much money and how honorable it was that he was working hard at whatever he could do to provide for his family. His point being, that no job is lowly and to never look down on someone or treat them badly for doing an honest day's work.
Growing up in our ward, there was a family who had a boy around my age that was a bit awkward and didn't have any friends. Unfortunately, he wasn't treated too well, and one night I remember my dad sitting my sister and me down and painting a picture of what his life was like. He knew more about him, than most did, since he was the YM President. I had never treated him badly, but I wasn't exactly friendly to him either. That talk opened my eyes to how sad his situation was and made me more aware of how my actions could affect people. I always thought my dad could be a motivational speaker because that was one of many talks my dad had with me that taught me compassion and made me want to be a better person. He also comes up with killer analogies during his "talks". I think my life has been likened to a car, a race, a recipe, what have you. It's great, I'm always wondering what he'll have for me next. :)
6. To work hard
If I could only describe my dad in one way, it would be hard worker. That's all I've ever known, is a dad who leaves for work before we wake up and comes home exhausted at the end of the day. He traveled a lot when I was growing up and I remember wondering what nights he would be home. My mom said she was so embarrassed one day at the grocery store because we were in the check-out line and I guess I very loudly asked her, "Is dad sleeping at OUR house tonight?" I can only imagine! But what's amazing to me is that even with how hard he worked at his job, I never once felt neglected or like my dad didn't spend enough time with me. Somehow it seemed he put 100% into his family, church calling, and job. And he's still at it.
Well, he likes to tease me that I write "novels" when I send emails/blog and it seems I've done it again. :) I am just so grateful for my dad and his example to me growing up. Many times when I need to make a decision, I wonder what my dad would do in that situation. I know that I am who I am today (not trying to say I'm all that great, but what good qualities I may have...!) is because of him and my mom. We like to joke around in our family that my dad would be a general authority by now if he wasn't stuck with the rest of us! We kinda bring him down just a bit :) I will always look up to him and admire all he's accomplished in his life.
And I'm pretty lucky to have this guy for the father of my children!
At least Collin seems to like him pretty good! :)If only we could master the "sleepy eyes" when taking a picture!
5 comments:
You do have a great dad! And I think Collin's dad is pretty great also. In fact I think he is a pretty amazing guy with a tender and loving heart who is very thoughtful. Sure glad Heavenly Father sent him to me all those many years ago. He is my tender mercy for being pregnant again.
You didn't mention..."DON"T EXPOSE THE FILM!" , loose slots, and so many other wonderful ones...next year! I loved it! What a cute idea for a post!
Your dad sounds like a good one! I love the 'eat meat' part of the lessons he taught you. :) How did sushi turn out?!
So why do you have scrapbook pages of mom and dad? But yes we love our Father goose. I don't have any pics of the Manor:( It was a lot like Jenny's house, size wise. It was just newly remodled and nice inside
I love this post! I think you dad is a wonderful man! You always have the best posts! We are not doing too much for summer we are visiting my folks at the end of the summer... That is about it! What about you guys... I swear I live vicariously through your posts... we never do anything!
Post a Comment