Last Saturday we spent the day in Palmyra with the Spanish speaking Elders, a senior missionary couple and some investigators. The missionaries are teaching a woman, Andrea, and her husband and two children and wanted to take them to see the sites, but needed some help with driving them out there. Andrea also brought a friend and they ALL spoke Spanish. Andrea knew about as much English as I knew Spanish. It made for an interesting day! I attempted to say to the girl, "Tu bonita ojos." She smiled and said gracias! I was quite proud. (I know that's not how you say it, but I guess she understood :)
The Edwards (senior couple) brought fixings for lunch and we got to eat in the basement of the visitor's center.
We kind of missed the Fall, so the trees are pretty bare, but these are grounds of the Hill Cumorah.
It was a very cold day, but luckily it didn't rain too much on us. We got our workout, huffing it up the Hill.
At the top!
I thought this was so cute. The little boy was so attached to his copy of the Book of Mormon. He insisted on holding it at all times and would constantly flip through it, even when he wasn't looking at it. We are in the log cabin of the Joseph Smith family here. I found it interesting that even though the tour was given in Spanish, I could feel the Spirit so strongly. It was like it was tangible. Such a neat experience!
The whole group (including the sister missionaries who gave us a tour of the Joseph Smith Farm). The frame home is behind us.
The Sacred Grove in Fall/Winter time. It was a long, but good day. I felt bad for grumbling about it ahead of time, because even though we lost our Saturday (by the time we got home it was time to go to the night session of stake conference, then off to Wal-Mart to go grocery shopping- why is that place always so dang busy!), I haven't felt the Spirit so strongly in a while. Andrea was so nice and it felt good to be helping the missionaries. It makes me wish I had served a mission. Maybe there will still be time! (Someday :)
I thought this was so cute. The little boy was so attached to his copy of the Book of Mormon. He insisted on holding it at all times and would constantly flip through it, even when he wasn't looking at it. We are in the log cabin of the Joseph Smith family here. I found it interesting that even though the tour was given in Spanish, I could feel the Spirit so strongly. It was like it was tangible. Such a neat experience!
The whole group (including the sister missionaries who gave us a tour of the Joseph Smith Farm). The frame home is behind us.
The Sacred Grove in Fall/Winter time. It was a long, but good day. I felt bad for grumbling about it ahead of time, because even though we lost our Saturday (by the time we got home it was time to go to the night session of stake conference, then off to Wal-Mart to go grocery shopping- why is that place always so dang busy!), I haven't felt the Spirit so strongly in a while. Andrea was so nice and it felt good to be helping the missionaries. It makes me wish I had served a mission. Maybe there will still be time! (Someday :)
6 comments:
You were so good to go! It looks like you had fun. :)
I've had a couple pretty cool experiences feeling the Spirit while hearing the gospel in Spanish. I remember one time I was on the Christus tour in the Mesa temple...something that I had heard so many times, but this time it hit me harder than ever & it was in Spanish! The second time was when we were visiting Melissa's mission. One of her newly-baptized investigators was there & her dad was visiting from a different country & didn't speak any English. He told a guy (who translated) to tell us that he was interested in the gospel & wanted to take the discussions, etc. The whole time the spirit was just tangible like you said...it was AMAZING!I think it makes you realize how much Heavenly Father really loves each of His children & how the gospel is so powerful in any language. I'm glad you got to go visit those sites...I love it there!
Stephanie,
I'm pretty sure the little girl speaks English too!! You could have just told her she has pretty eyes in English! :) We ate dinner with them once at the Daytons, and it seems like the dad and the girl spoke pretty good English. Maybe I'm wrong though. I totally know what you mean about grumbling about "opportunities" like this, but in the end having a great time. It is frustrating, though, how fast Saturdays go by, isn't it?
Stephanie, hope you're feeling good. You're hardly showing...are you really due in February?? It looks like you're having lots of fun in New York. Enjoy the seasons for us in Arizona...we're doing hot, and not as hot.
I'm so jealous that you got to eat lunch in the basement of the visitors center. I mean, come on... who gets to do that??
how did you do that blog list on the side that tells you when people last updated it?
Post a Comment