Saturday, May 9, 2009

HELP!

I don't know what else to do. It all started back in college. My roommate's sister was in town and spending the night with us when it first happened. I was having a nightmare (I still remember every detail) and I started hyperventilating in my sleep. My roommate's sister had 911 dialed in her phone when I finally woke up. They said it was so scary because they woke up to me violently sucking in air like it was my last breath. They thought I was having an asmtha attack or something similar, and they couldn't wake me up.

Now, having nightmares is nothing new to me, but the hyperventilating started then. Ever since, it's only occured rarely, until now. Over the past year or so I've been averaging a couple a month and this past week I've had five, two being last night.

Trav will usually try to shake me out of it, but sometimes he's afraid to do that because one time it made me freak out even more. When he touched me, that was the "bad guy" grabbing me. Most of my dreams are of getting attacked, some are of random ways that I'm dying (falling off a cliff, drowning) and others involve scary things happening to Collin that I can't stop.

Maybe you think I love horror movies or read Steven King novels, but it's quite the opposite. The last horror movie I watched was The Grudge, and that was back when Trav and I were dating. I hate scary/gory shows and books. My favorite shows are American Idol and The Office, and I'm currently reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven. And if my dreams truly corrolated with disturbing things I had just done/watched, then how do you explain last night? Trav and I watched the Disney movie, Bedtime Stories, read scriptures, said prayers, and went to bed. And then I had two horrible nightmares.

Things seem to be escalating too. In my dreams, I'm always trying to scream, but I can't. It's like I have no voice. Well last week I found my voice. I was asleep and Trav was studying downstairs when I screamed out "HELP!" with everything I had. He came running, but I had woken myself up with the scream. Things are always out of my control. Like I'll push on the brake as hard as I can while driving, but the car won't stop in time or do what I want it to do.

Usually the nightmares involve dying, which is scary enough, but every once in a while I swear it's like there's an evil presence in my dream. I've racked my brain to think of something in my life that is causing that. The only thing I can think of is the music I listen to when I exercise. It's not Satanic or even "screamo" music, but it's the R&B/rap music that's fun to dance to. Music that's on the radio like 98.5. It's not Mo Tab, but I wouldn't think it would warrant evilness.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Any solutions?I know I'm high strung and a "worrier", but how do you change that? I've always been that way. I don't get enough sleep as it is, but now I'm interrupting what little sleep I do get with panic-sleep attacks and my loud hyperventilating is waking up not only Trav, but now Collin. I don't know what to do. Help.

14 comments:

Stephanie Allen said...

Oh no Steph! I am so sorry! I have a ton of bad dreams too... interestingly about alot of the same stuff you do... I once told Dave if I did not have to sleep I almost don't want to... Usually when I wake up we will say a prayer for good dreams and also that I might be comforted. We will also read the scriptures again if it is a really bad one... I must admit though I have no idea about the hyperventilating thing... I don't do that... have you thought maybe a blessing of some sort might help... I hope things get better... I am so sorry!

Retro Plants said...

when i lived in a childhood home i didn't necessarily have hyperventilating dreams but i would notice an evil presence (like you said) that would be in the corner of my room when i would wake up in the night. . . it was a dark shape and very menacing. . . i would always tell my dad and he would give me a blessing and then give the house/room a blessing (the priesthood rocks!). . . every time it worked but that didn't mean it wouldn't come back. we would just do it over again and it would go away.
i don't know about you being "evil". . . if you are evil then i am Satan himself ;) you are a very good, righteous girl Steph and that is when Satan and his evil posse work on you the most! so don't worry about that one!
worrying is an inherent thing in some people and i would suggest meditating. . . it has worked for me in times of great stress (especially when you add a new baby into your home) and will possibly help relieve your nightmares. . . also praying to have good dreams helps too! i started that in junior high and it worked every time i did it! :)
good luck hon. . . so sorry!

Heather said...

Could you have sleep apnea? I know my husband has it and I am starting to get it. Basically, you stop breathing in your sleep. You kind-of freeze and you can't wake up or move or scream. You can't breath for a second and it can be really scary. Maybe the nightmares are being caused by it somehow? Anyway, you can use a breathing machine at night to make sure you are getting enough air in your sleep. You have to go see a sleep doctor (pulmonary) and do a sleep study and they can monitor what is going on in your sleep to see if anything is wrong. It's worth checking out, because that is NO FUN! I am sorry! Good luck!

Kristi said...

just a couple of ideas. I remember your dad having sleep apnea and you may have it too. Also, has Travis dedicated your home? I've had Mike do it every time we move, even if we are in just an apartment, but I feel like it's really helped. I'm sure you already know, but priesthood blessings work wonders. I would probably ask a doctor about the sleep apnea thing too. At least ask your dad about it.
I remember having really bad dreams after having my first baby and when we were living with Mike's parents for a while. I tend to believe some dreams mean something, at least subconsciously. I had a lot of natural disaster dreams that ended in death or losing someone in a crowd and such, so I thought I would research a little on the internet. I found that natural disaster dreams tend to mean that you are holding back emotionally, to the point where you think you would burst. That made so much sense to me so I started reading lds authors and inspirational stories in addition to scriptures and prayer. I started helping people around the neighborhood and getting out more. It helped me. I'm sure your situation isn't the same as what I was going through, but I hope you find something that works for you. And I hope you get some peaceful sleep.

marcie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marcie said...

ohhh STEPH! when I started reading this I wanted to call you but maybe I'll just wait til you come down to talk to you. Because this past week has been soo bad with my dreams. Seriously every single night I've had multiple bad dreams. No, Horrible dreams. Weird thing is in the end of my dreams I always end up running to the Finters house for help. I guess I feel safe there I love the Finters! anyways the last few I've had when I woke up I swear there's been a dark figure in my room kinda like how you said, and it freaked me out beyond belief. But I've just turned facing my wall and sayed a prayer... and then being the teenager I am I would text Austin to tell him i had ANOTHER bad dream, poor guys gotten too many texts this week at 3 a.m. from me. geez whats wrong with us?

But maybe you do have sleep apnea like Dad? Look into it! I'm sure by now you have already but since Dad has it, it kinda makes sense.

Mary Ann said...

Hi Stephanie,
Aunt Mary Ann here...sorry your problem is genetic: I have suffered from it for years. Just ignore it and let the good things in life take over. I have more to tell you about but that can happen next time I see you.
I do laugh every time I see the commercials for the TV show Medium. You know when the lady wakes up having just had a vision. Ha!!
Don't worry--you will be fine.

Karen said...

Steph I am so sorry, that is no fun. I do have bad nightmares like that every once in a while, but I do not wake up hyperventilating, so I do not know what that is like. Once someone told me to sing primary songs in my head to help yourself go back to sleep after having a nightmare and that has helped me.

Hiatt Family said...

Stephanie,
I'm sorry you are dealing with that! Not getting good sleep affects everything. I've had a lot of dreams of being chased and almost killed...they can be pretty violent. I totally believe in the power of prayer, but I still had nightmares when I prayed for good dreams...so that didn't always work for me. Call me crazy, but my acupuncturist asks me a lot about how I sleep & I mentioned my dreams to him. He works on a lot of points for anxiety & I hardly ever have bad dreams now. It has also helped me to be calmer during the day. Good luck!

Betzy said...

Steph, sorry about the bad dreams. I too suffer from nightmares every once in a while and have had my share of being attacked by the adversary himself. What has worked for me is rebuking him on the spot and having my husband give me a priesthood blessing. It's always happened when something of great spiritual significance is happening like when I was pregnant and knew I was pregnant before it came out in the test. It's as if he knows that Heavenly Father has something special for us and/or we're doing more to strengthen ourselves spiritually. Continue with the priesthood blessings, re-dedicate your house, and when you wake up just say a quick prayer so you can regain your calm until you can get a blessing. Hope this helps!

RaCHeL said...

You guys are naughty!!! :) Shame on you!

Shelley Goodman said...

Why don't you try listening to Scripture Scouts while you fall asleep! Sorry, but that stinks for you...and travis. I just talk in my sleep which is kind a scary too.

Crescent said...

That has got to be the worst feeling ever!! I am so sorry! And sorry that I have no words of advice either...I hope it gets better!

Stephanie said...

My little boy has bad dreams too...night terrors is what the pediatrician called it. It's scary to watch him and we can't wake him up from it. I guess that kids usually grow out of that though...he's gotten better actually. Post any advice that works.