Friday, February 17, 2012

Oh St. Valentine!

We were able to go to a Valentine's playgroup at the church last week. Collin had fun making his fireman box. When we were at Target picking out his Valentines, he insisted on Phineas and Ferb. Really? I was hoping for some with envelopes, thinking that's how he could help me... by stuffing them in the envelopes. Or at least putting a piece of candy in them or something. No go. They just don't sell Valentines with envelopes anymore! What gives? Instead I spent a good hour, ripping apart 37 Valentines and tattoos, delicately placing said tattoos in the minuscule slits cut into the Valentines, then folding them and sealing with a heart sticker. I felt like a factory worker. It will be nice when he's old enough to do all that by himself... talk about a busy work project, but for now, I was cursing Disney and all affiliated slave drivers.


Last Saturday our ward had a Valentine's party that turned out pretty fun. They had childcare, so Collin was occupied, and we just put Weston to sleep in a room. I even brought his sound machine. It was fantastic.
We ate, then played a trivia game. I brought my Ipod and speakers and led everyone in a couple of line dances.... the Cupid Shuffle and Cotton Eyed Joe. I was impressed with how many were willing to dance!
The "photographer" didn't show up, so it was my crummy camera to the rescue! Whitney had made such an adorable photo background, we couldn't let it go to waste. 


 I wasn't around when Trav snapped this picture, but I wanted to include it because it has Deborah in it! I visit teach Deb and she is a gem. I was a little nervous when I started going to her neighborhood (it's in one of the scarier parts of town), but I've since relaxed and am able to enjoy the experience.... bumpin' music, {hoodlum} men, dilapidated houses, accompanying smells, and all. I need to video tape her because her voice is one I'll never forget. One time when I dropped by to visit her, she called from the inside, "Who is it?!!". "It's Steph!" I replied. The door swung open to bare legged Deb, with the happiest look on her face. "Stephanie!" she exclaimed. "I MISSED your BUTT!"  Seriously, I love Deborah.

After the dancing, a few couples played the Newlywed game for us all to watch and then we let the kids break free and join the party for some dancing. They were rocking out. It was a fun night. Laney knows how to plan a party!
On actual Valentine's day, I picked up Chiptole and took the kids to the dental school to eat lunch with Trav. He knew we were coming, but he didn't know I had brought along some inflated friends. The surprise was a little ruined when he saw us coming, but I still made him go out in the hall while I did my dirty work. There were 5 balloons for 5 years married, each with a note attached of a memory from that year.
I had fun with some crepe paper and put a box of Dove chocolates under his computer (which I'm pretty sure I ended up eating 85% of). Too bad he was on rotation for the afternoon so none of his patients got to see! 



 Our din din. Pink mashed potatoes. So original!

The real treat were these sugar cookies. I hit the jackpot with the cookie recipe, then I used the Sprinkles cupcakes frosting recipe. It's a good thing we gave away so many plates, otherwise I would have eaten them ALL! Now our official Valentine's "date" night is tonight. Hmmmm, where could we be going.... um of course Cheesecake Factory!! I have a date with Caramel Chicken tonight and it's going to be amazing. :)
And a belated Happy 100th Birthday to Arizona!!! I had no idea... thank you Facebook. I should have done something Arizona themed. It is the best state in the country after all. :)

8 comments:

kandis said...

I can't believe how big your kids are getting! And I just have to say I love Deb too! she was my VT partner before I moved and she is a hoot! Great memories for sure!

Rachel said...

I bring Noah's noise machine to church. No joke. I put him to sleep in the little classroom attached the Primary room (I am in the presidency). Hey, if Laney can use a closet...:)

I love Deborah. I miss her. She once opened the door to me topless. And when I say topless, I mean topless. She needed help with her bra. :) I actually really admire her that she has just accepted that she has a disability now since her stroke, and it's okay to ask for help, even with the "embarrassing" things. She is awesome. And I often think of her wise words of advice to me, "Girl, you are too blessed to be stressed!" So true!

The party looks like so much fun, and I love that you decorated Travis' operatory. Miss you guys.

marcie said...

I'm diggin your hair parted close to the middle :) Super model-esque (not sure if that's even a word). Oh Deb... that story made me laugh! She sounds awesome

Doug and Kate said...

You're so festive! What a nice wife!! Yes yes those cookies were a hit. They lasted a whole hour at my house! -not joking-

RaCHeL said...

Poor Doug, he sure wishes he had a wife as creative & cute as you. :) Valentines was a lot of fun this year, which I wasn't anticipating since Cres is gone & there wasn't a party. Your sugar cookies were um...amazing!!! We may have even beat Kate's time of an hour before they were scarfed down. We didn't even save one for Gavin. Oops!

Shelley Goodman said...

Lane chose valentines that had tattoos too! Only I thought the actual valentine turned into the tattoo because I didn't look far enough to see the mini square boxes that YOU have to tear until the very end. So poor kids didnt get a tatoo but lucky for me:) I wanna sugar cookie with sprinkles frosting! They looked delish!

Paula said...

You've got to share your recipe. I'm a sucker for sugar cookies. What a fun party. Love what you did for Trav. Loved Collin and Gavin. So cute with their valentine box and bag. Love to you all.

Trevor said...

yay! Trav likes the shirt I gave him! p.s. Steph you should add my other email so i can access your blog with the one I actually use! trevjevans@gmail.com!