As Travis is THE love of my life, I had to title this post just, A love of my life. But it's a pretty big love. I have been an addict of books for my entire life. My favorite place in the world as a kid was the Mesa Public Library (come to find out it was my twin sister's WORST place to go- right up there with the dreaded "Potteryland" [a creepy lot on Main St. filled with old pottery- not like we ever actually went there but still a place that haunts her memory apparently]) I remember asking what the limit was on books that I could check out and maxing out that limit every time. And even though it made me car sick, I would have my nose in the latest BabySitter's Club, or Sweet Valley Twins on the ride home. Reading has always been one of my favorite things to do. It even trumps sleeping in some cases. When it was time for bed and I just couldn't put down Nancy Drew, I would stuff it under my shirt, sneak in the bathroom and read as long as possible, until I was afraid my mom would suspect something and come bust me. (She thinks this is funny by the way because she doesn't remember me doing this- or really caring that I would read so late, for that matter) And I wonder if my dad remembers finding me crying at the kitchen table around 5am one morning during my junior year, as he's headed off to work for the day. I was finishing Gone With the Wind, and just HAD to finish it before going to bed. Luckily it was Spring Break and I didn't have school the next day!
So when I heard about a Book Club that some girls in the ward/neighborhood started, I was thrilled! I joined last fall and have only missed one book so far, due to a little 7lb 14oz munchkin that took up more time than I had anticipated in March! I finally got to host the monthly meeting last Thursday at my house and we had the best time. We were discussing Rachel's pick, These Is My Words, and had a great discussion. Collin was in bed before it started, so Trav took off for a while, then came home and hunkered down in the basement. Later, he told me that as he passed by the living room he heard a comment begin like, "Well I think the author meant .....". He kind of snickered as he told me this and I was left puzzled. "What's so funny about that?" Apparently the idea of a bunch of women gathered around discussing a book is quite humorous to him, in and of itself. I was indignant! I've dealt with Shelley's snickering about my books my whole life, but now my husband! Well, he quickly backtracked, assuring me he thought it was great that I loved it so much and he's happy that I'm in book club, blah blah blah, but he just thinks it's kinda funny. So maybe some of you reading this would side with Travis and understand where he's coming from, but I don't get it AT ALL. What's so different about discussing a book as opposed to talking about the latest movie you saw? Anyway, I guess us intellectuals are just not always understood. Haha.
So I'm going to do just a quick summary/ opinion of the books we've read over these past several months.
These is My Words
I absolutely LOVED this book! It's a fictional story based loosely on the author's great- grandma's diary. It about a woman named Sarah Prine and takes place in the late 1800's in Arizona Territory. I think this book has it all, adventure, romance, tragedy, and comedy. I just can't fathom the trials that pioneers faced. It reminded me again to be grateful for the luxeries I take for granted such as modern medicine, technology, and travel. Excellent read!
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
I had read this book once before, several years ago, but I have the memory of a gnat, so I read it again. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't say it's a favorite. I think the message is that you affect people every day, even if you don't know it, and they affect you. I also think it reminds us to be happy with our lives even if we don't feel like we have contributed to the world in astounding ways. Ultimately, our lives affect the world if big ways, we just don't always see how far our impact goes.
I thought this book was a little odd. I plodded through it, but didn't really get too into it. It's told in a fable sort of way. It's about a boy seaking his "treasure". We're reminded that we all have our own destiny that we need to fulfill in life and to not get side tracked or swayed from reaching our destiny. I think books like this would mean more to me if I didn't have the gospel in my life. It seems that if you don't have religion or direction in your life, you might be more inspired by this book. To me it was just ho hum.
The Alchemist
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
I had read this book once before, several years ago, but I have the memory of a gnat, so I read it again. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't say it's a favorite. I think the message is that you affect people every day, even if you don't know it, and they affect you. I also think it reminds us to be happy with our lives even if we don't feel like we have contributed to the world in astounding ways. Ultimately, our lives affect the world if big ways, we just don't always see how far our impact goes.
I thought this book was a little odd. I plodded through it, but didn't really get too into it. It's told in a fable sort of way. It's about a boy seaking his "treasure". We're reminded that we all have our own destiny that we need to fulfill in life and to not get side tracked or swayed from reaching our destiny. I think books like this would mean more to me if I didn't have the gospel in my life. It seems that if you don't have religion or direction in your life, you might be more inspired by this book. To me it was just ho hum.
The Alchemist
This was a pretty thick book and one that took me several chapters before I really got into it. But by the time I finished it, I didn't want it to end! I had grown quite attached to Francie Nolan. It's a story about a girl growing up in Brooklyn in the late 1800's, early 1900's. It delvs into social issues, race and poverty. It's a fictional story, but the author grew up in Brooklyn during the same time period, so it's based off of her background and observances from her childhood. I guess it's a book that is often assigned in high school English classes, which I think is great. Every teenager in America should read this book and be reminded of how lucky they are to get an education and how valuable it is. I read it shortly after our trip to New York City, so I think that really helped me visualize a lot of the settings in the book. There were definitely some really weird parts that I just didn't understand, but overall I thought it was fantastic and would read it again!
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
This was my first Jody Picult book and I found it very intruging. I guess she's known for her controversial topics and surprise endings and this story certainly fit the bill! It's about a family that genetically "created" a baby to fit their oldest daughter who has cancer. The purpose being that the baby's blood/genes/cells would match her sister's and therefore be a perfect donor, when needed. Well the baby grows up and basically sues her parents for the rights to her own body, so she doesn't have to donate the latest request, a kidney. It was a really compelling story and at first I was excited to find out about the movie they are making about it, but I don't know if I can go see it! It just looks too sad. I tear up whenever I see a preview, so I know it would be a major bawl fest if I actually saw the whole thing. I think my hormones have taken a turn for the worst with the birth of Collin!
My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper
Well after My Sister's Keeper, I decided to read Nineteen Minutes. (The next four books weren't part of book club- just books I decided to read inbetween) This is about a boy who is bullied so badly, all through elementary, junior high, and high school, that he ends up "shooting up" his high school. The book works in flashbacks, revealving the boy's tormented life and his final breakdown. Even while it was a page turner, I found it so hard to read in parts. Well, most parts! My heart ached for the poor kid and of course it ends so badly. It was one of those books that you're not sure if it was worth it to read it, because of how sad it is! However, I kind of think all teenagers should read it, so they understand how even a little teasing can really affect someone's life. It definitely teaches compassion, which high schools certainly lack these days.
Nineteen Minutes
The O'Reilly Factor
Well, I so admire my cousin, Leah, for being so political and I wanted to make an attempt to join her! We don't have cable, and therefore no access to Fox News, so I decided to read the O'Reilly Factor. It was a lot of fun to read his opinions and his stories poking fun at celebrities and many ridiculous aspects of living in America, but I don't know that I learned much about politics....
A Mother's Book of Secrets
Nineteen Minutes
Pope Joan
This was a pretty long book also, but definitely a page turner. I thought it was very feministic. It was graphic in parts though, which made it hard for me to read. It's set in the 9th century and blows the mind with how backward the world was then. Everything was "God's will" and no one used reason. Women were considered beyond inferior, and were refused any type education. Rape wasn't a crime because men could do whatever they wanted and it was always justified. I think my hormones probably played a role in my repulsion of some parts which makes it hard for me to recommend this book to others, although I'm sure most people would consider it a great book.The O'Reilly Factor
Well, I so admire my cousin, Leah, for being so political and I wanted to make an attempt to join her! We don't have cable, and therefore no access to Fox News, so I decided to read the O'Reilly Factor. It was a lot of fun to read his opinions and his stories poking fun at celebrities and many ridiculous aspects of living in America, but I don't know that I learned much about politics....
A Mother's Book of Secrets
My mother-in-law gave me this book for Mother's Day and I'll be honest, I wasn't thrilled about reading it. I guess I thought it would be sappy or full of "fluffy" advice, but I have to admit, I really enjoyed it! There were some funny stories, interesting ideas, and great advice. I'm glad I own it now, because I'll want to reread it in five to ten years and use all the neat ideas that are more applicable to older kids and bigger families.









10 comments:
Oh man, you joined the nerd club! Well, it seems as though everybody else is in a nerd club but me. I have to admit, I only read the 1st two lines of your post and skipped down to the comments:) How come books and me don't mix?
I don’t think I could read any of Jodi P.'s books, way too sad; they have to end well for me to read them... and I have been known to peek at the ending to make sure it does. :)
PS I totally understand the read v. sleep thing, My fav. spot used to be in the closet with a flashlight :) & Gone w/the wind = my fav. book of all time. (funny seeing how it ends with Rhett leaving her…) At least there is “Scarlett” though, even if it is just a LOT of words as a means of getting them back together…
I have always been a book worm too. I try to limit myself to a book a week these days because i can't seem to put most books down once I start them- which means a neglectful mommy day here and there! Thanks for hosting book club it was lots of fun.
I love to read good books. I've never been a BIG reader but I have been reading more now that i'm older. I saw the movie my sister's keeper and I don't know how it compares to the book but it was such a sweet movie. It definitely made me thankful for the plan of happiness. I think it so awesome you are part of a book club! I've always wanted to do it but I'm such a slow reader compared to all the book worms. :)
Me and Shelley both I've never been a big book reader! BUT I will admit I wish I was because there's times when I have gotten into a book but then think I could be doing something else so I don't finish haha. I'm gettin super excited for you to come down I'm goin crazy I need a baby to hold I miss him and you and trav of course too!!
I do recall that day of spring break 2000! I showed up ready to lay out on the roof and you were asleep. Wierd? Steph isn't a sleeper inner. So Shelley begans to tell me how she awoke in the wee hours of the morning to see Stephanie sobbing over the pages of Gone With The Wind. (of course Shelley was mocking you.) So we woke you up because tans are more important than sleep! Rock on!
I so get it!!!! I have always wanted to be in a Book Club. I think they are great...I love discussing books. My love of reading came from my mother. I remember growing up after lunch in the summers my mom would sit down with a book and read for an hour or so while my dad took his afternoon nap. I remember as a youung girl stuffing a towel under my door at night so my mom would not see the light while I was reading. I share your love of books. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm always up for a good read. Right now I'm reading "Three Cups of Tea". Good read!
Bahahha...you are so funny, and you weren't even trying to be!!!! First off I think we are almost IDENTICAL EXECPT when it comes to this!! I can't read a book to save my life. I really wish I were a bookworm but my mind wonders and I think of to many other things like crafts =) The last book I read was Twilight and that was only because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I liked it but, I guess not enough to read the other 3.
Ok and I love that you read Bill ORiellys book =) yeah his books don't really teach you about Politics but if you want to get a heads up for what is happening right now in America read Glenn Becks new book Common Sense. =) Ok my book lover cousin pull your head out of a book sometime and call me =)
Thanks for hosting, my first book club meeting was fun! Thank you more for posting the previous books... I always need a little help to choose my next read!
I loved Pope Joan. It was so good. It's now being passed all of over my office cause everybody else is reading it now.
Post a Comment