Friday, December 19, 2008

Hope ya know... I had a hard time. :)

So I guess Buffalo decided to give us a going-away present today. I would like to return it. The snow started at about 8am and has dropped 1-2 inches an hour. I was able to leave work early around 1pm. This is how I made my exit.
Yes, I'm in a skirt. sigh. And I did not have good shoes on, so I gathered two plastic bags and taped them to my feet. Everyone at work was laughing while simultaneoulsy advising me on how to get safely home. I knew to be worried (not that I wasn't already!) when these seasoned Buffalonians were staring out the windows in amazement.Seriously, pictures do not do this scene justice. The snow drifts were mid calf, trying to get in my door.

This was the driver's side window. I had to scrape the snow off to get to the handle. We didn't have a shovel in the car so I used the ice scraper to dig out the tires before attempting to pull out of the parking lot. I got about two feet and got stuck. So I hop out in my skirt and plastic bags and spend a good five minutes digging myself out again.

This is the aftermath. Cute, I know.
Yeah for the snow plows!

I'm amazed that my voice sounds so calm. I was truly having heart palpitations. I did not go over 25mph the whole way home. It normally takes me about 15 min., but today was over an hour. There are actually "driving bans" put into effect for a few towns. I saw many cars stuck and spinning out and had my share of slippery turns and close calls. I was so proud of myself for getting home safely, but know it was my sister's (and others) prayers that did it! Thanks Marcie - you're the best!Trav started shoveling our driveway, then was able to get our neighbor's snow blower working, so he finished with that. What a difference! Poor guy finishes his week of finals and then spends a couple of hours in 20 degree weather(with wind chill factor it feels like 4 degrees!). Way to go
Trav! :)
*By the way, my title comes from a conference talk.... remember now? :)

13 comments:

Tasha said...

Glad to see you got home safely!

Karen said...

We cannot wait to see you and I hope you enjoy our weather here a little bit better.

Sean & Kendra said...

I am so sorry that you had to drive through all this. Glad to see that you made it home safely, though! I am sure you are happy to get away from this for a little while. Have a Merry Christmas!

M Evans said...

How exciting to get to live in such a foreign land for a few years! Im so jealous! Think of all the experiences you are going to have (i.e. plastic bag boots) while the rest of us live our same ol' same ol' boring lives! *sigh*





(Did that make you feel at all better?)
(I really am about {---------} this much jealous you know...)

RaCHeL said...

Wow! I love your shoes!!! :) You are so creative. I'm sorry you got to experience this without me. We've been getting lots of snow in Utah too. It's crazy! But you get to leave for AZ tomorrow! Yahoo! Miss you!

Jacob and Katie said...

I LOVE the plastic shoes, reminds me of wearing heals going to church in Alaska before a snowstorm. You still looked very pretty for being all snowed out! Hope your fam has a happy holiday!

Jacob and Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

What an experience. I hate to drive in snow. I know what you were going through. I am glad you got home safely. Loved the plastic bags. Hope you get here safely. I know there are flight delays.

Adam and Jess said...

Wow is all I have to say, I can't believe how much snow you have. Ours is hit and miss, we'll have snow and then a day of cold and rain, but it melts it. Then again. I don't know if I'd advise the driving while filming though. We've had a few slips and it's scary, the other day I accidentally hit another car parking (they were parked) but no scratches or anything since I was going so slowly. GOOD LUCK

Stephanie Allen said...

You know I have lived in snowy states for the past 8 years and I never once thought of the shoe bag idea... That is actually quite smart... funny looking but smart... Keeps your feet dry at least! Leave it up to you to actually use your brain while people like me get soggy shoes and then a horrible cold afterwards. When I read the title of your post and saw the picture I was all... oh no... were they trying to fly out to AZ and the planes all got grounded... I am glad this was not the case... I hope you have good weather for your trip! Love ya guys... all 2.5 of you!

Lauren and Jason said...

I feel your pain with the snow. You guys got the aftermath of what hit us this week in Fargo! It's supposed to be -21 Degrees tomorrow at 8 am. And that's before the wind chill. It's crazy. Makes you want to move back to AZ doesn't it? Stay safe.

Holly Garvin said...

OMG! I'm so glad I live in AZ. I don't know that I could deal with that kind of weather.

Kristi said...

Hey Steph! I just found your blog from the miner's. I didn't know you were in Buffalo, or pregnant. What a great cuz I am. Congratulations! We acctually just had our second baby girl. Check us out mkharris.blogspot.com Hope you are doing well!