Tuesday, March 31, 2026

March & Easter

 Weston has been begging to learn to drive so some Sunday afternoons we go to the church parking lot so he can practice. 

Tanner's school had a night where parents come see projects and things they have been working on.

Marcie gave me this adorable picture of Christ to kick off Easter season with! I love it!
Still plugging away at How Great is Our God. We read it almost every night along with the scriptures.

Olive danced at a Suns pregame show! The whole family came to support her and see the game.








Highland was playing Mesa High so we went to cheer for Steel Wayment and Rusty! All the Hogles were there too cheering for Natalie's son. They were VERY embarrassed when I made a spectacle of myself hooting and hollering for the boys. Shelley was manning the concessions and Tanner was her gofer!



From there we went straight to the Easter pageant opening fireside! So excited to be doing it with the Figs again! The next morning we had our first Super Saturday. It's a whole adventure packing food and doing the pop up tents and everything!



Everybody loves Jane snuggles and naps!


Collin is an angel this year! He had mixed feelings after the callbacks. He felt like the odd guy out. Lots of interesting, older "theater kids" practicing leaps and turns. But he quickly found other chill guys and enjoyed it.


Tanner got to be in the kids dance this year!


Camilla's mother in law read this article and wanted me to have it.
I did the "hug your unsuspecting brother in law" challenge and Casey did NOT disappoint!! Haha! We laughed and laughed!
I'm trying to elevate Sundays so I bought a lacy tablecloth and goblets (homage to Grandmother). Weston's mashed potato volcano landscape was a nice touch.

Tanner and I were visiting Grandma and he was playing with the toy tool set and yanked back on a screw and hit himself in the mouth with the plastic screwdriver. Wouldn't you know it, it chipped his tooth! Buggers! It's nice having a dad dentist. We zipped over to his office and he fixed him right up.  


We were at the temple most nights that first week, for the core cast scenes. 
Collin wanted to spread out his birthday festivities so I picked him up from school for lunch a couple days before. He chose Venezias. A man of habits. 
We had the Figs over again! Jane needed a nap and I had set up her pack n play and sound machine and everything but she started to protest when I got near it. I remembered she's easy and will sleep on your chest. There was always too much to do when my kids were little so I never held them while they slept. 
Plus they weren't the type of babies to just sleep anywhere. But Jane is, so I decided, why not enjoy a nap?! I got us comfy in my Lazy boy chair and we both conked out! It was magical. I can't wait to be a grandma. 


Travis took Weston to the wrestling banquet while I handled other things. They came home with this award. I didn't notice the spelling error at first. We laughed because it couldn't be further from the truth. Weston is my most chill child. NOT a worrier in the least. 
Over Spring Break, the Standages took Olive and Tanner with them to the Phoenix Science Center!

Some ladies were leaving our shift, so a lot of us got together for lunch at Costa Vida. 

Dress like a dad at dance, haha!
Collin's birthday was on a Friday and for the first time in his life, he had to go to school on his birthday! It's has always been spring break, but ALA's spring break started the next week this year. I think he was feeling bad about his latest indiscretion and wasn't asking for anything. I wanted to get him SOMETHING so I wrapped up a package of bacon haha. Recent research confirms how very toxic and carcinogenic bacon is so I don't buy it anymore. Uncured is fine I guess but there is no pre-cooked uncured bacon to buy. Collin has been suffering. So I gifted him cancer meat and he was thrilled!




These new Virtual Reality gaming places have popped up but they are so expensive. I got a Groupon for one in Chandler called Scorch, so it was more reasonable. Paige came too! She's great to have around and so easy and happy. We all played the games together and they were actually really fun! Everyone liked it. Then we ate dinner at Cheesecake Factory. I think him and Paige went to see a movie or something after that and then met back at our house for cake. It was such a fun night! I love that he was willing to do something as a family. 




For our second Super Saturday I got a little fancy. Sushi for lunch! Boy was it hot. A long day but we did it! 





Shelley and Casey invited us to Cleaverman steakhouse for his birthday dinner so we rushed home and showered then met at their house to drive out to Phoenix together. It was a real fancy schmancy place! The sides were really yummy. Sadly, my steak was terrible. But the company was what made it. Then we tried Joes Italian Ice afterward for dessert. Now we're talking! 





Landon spent the night and I thought it was so cute when I checked the cameras and saw they were sharing a bed!



Spring Break fun at Peter Piper then the trampoline park. Topped off with Handels ice cream. Sheesh these kids are spoiled! Camilla and I will do anything for time to talk!



Time for the 6-10pm rehearsals. Every night is spent at the temple. I pack up dinner and Travis meets us there. At least for the first week it was still spring break so we didn't have to worry about waking up early the next day for school. 
Jackson Anderson and him hit it off.
Weston really wanted to try fishing at the lake. So I took him and Regan to Saguaro and tried to find shade somewhere while they swam out to a rock to fish. No luck. I was being attacked by bugs when they came back wanting to try the river instead. So we drove to two other spots on the river and they still came up empty handed. I felt bad for them. It was a bust. 

Our family group was the Figs, us, the Pew family, Lisa Eager and her daughter, John Bolliger (single guy) and Jessica Meade (single girl). We had a great group! I enjoyed getting to know the Pews especially. There were some kids from the group next to us that would come over and stir up trouble sometimes, but overall they had fun. Collin stayed with the angel group and Weston was usually found talking to the girls in the group to the south of us. 



Can you make out Weston turned around talking to the ladies? ;)

I took the Figs to Mesquite Groves Aquatic Center. We waited AN HOUR to get in. Woof! It was soooo hot and my kids complained nonstop. I invited my mom because she loves a pool day and I thought it would be nice to spend time with her. Thankfully she didn't arrive until right before we got in. The place was packed but we carved out a spot and actually had a really nice time visiting and floating in the lazy river.

Tanner busied himself hammering away for hours building .... something. A house for mice. I don't know! It was cute whatever it was.


I brought my camera to take pictures before rehearsals.


Well we finally managed to host the Lip Sync party finally! The boys were doing a reenactment of Bad Bunny's Superbowl 1/2 time show and a couple got married as part of it so I put on my wedding dress to see if Trav and I could do that part and... it fit!! Hot dog! It was a proud moment indeed. 


We did a pasta night and I made funnel cakes with our ice cream soft serve!


These cute littles did a Kpop Demon Hunters song!
The Figs rocked "The Perfect Cast" from A Goofy Movie! 
We did the Napoleon Dynamite dance. I was very impressed with Tanners moves! Olive kept us in line.

3 Cheers for Grandma and Grandpa! I mean, Anna and Kristoff! They should have won for best costume!

The Goodmans number was HILARIOUS!! But you only got it if you watched TV in the 90's and were subjected to Sarah McLaughlin's soulful mourning as pathetic animals were exploited for money during every Price is Right commercial break. They played the song, Angel, and while Shelley was singing it, her family came out one by one dressed like injured animals. I was already laughing but I lost it Casey dragged himself across the floor. 10 out of 10!! 

The Bad Bunny number was a hit! I think the younger cousins just love anything the older boys do. Collin strutted around pretending to sing Spanish while Weston and Rusty trailed behind him acting like plants. Olive and Tanner ran in and out of "scenes" replicating parts from the 1/2 time show like vendors selling things and a boxing match. Travis and I came out at the end to get "married". Lots of fun! They won first place and got the large Blizzards! I think the Figs got 2nd and Goodmans got 3rd. Craig didn't even come and the other brothers didn't participate. Boo. Guess it's up to the sisters to create the fun.



Barbara Hoyt was hospitalized during the pageant and they had a poster for everyone to sign to wish her well. Barbara is in a wheelchair and mostly nonverbal. I thought Tanner's note was so sweet in the middle of the "U". 

The Stansfields came to watch a performance and we got to see them afterwards! We miss their family. Olive especially misses Elsie.
Lisa Hogle made us monte cristo sandwiches again this year to help with the craziness of the pageant season. She is amazing. They came in clutch.
Olive has a dance rehearsal she couldn't miss but we needed to be at the fireside. I asked my dad if he could pick her up from dance and bring her to the pageant. The rehearsal ended at 7pm and the pageant starts at 8pm and it's about a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic. I reminded him that morning but he forgot. Olive was texting me at 7:10pm that he still wasn't there. Talk about STRESS!!! We are in the opening scene and if she wasn't there it would have been BAD. He answered his phone apologizing profusely and rushed over to get her. When I saw his massive truck hauling up the road I could finally exhale. The man is known for speeding. I was grateful he knew where the gas pedal was! This is just one example of how much juggling goes on to keep everything afloat during pageant.
Paige came to see it!! Collin isn't allowed to walk around before it starts in his angel costume so they have another costume he wears in the mob scene that he wears.
Hayley from dance!
Always so grateful for amazing pictures like this that I get each year.


Sweet Landon got to be the Shepard boy!! He's perfect for it. Austin is next to him in the scene and it's so special seeing them together. 

Poor Weston!!! Travis noticed in an x-ray that he has significant bone loss in his upper jaw above his right lateral. He thinks it may be from years ago when he had an abscess. So he referred him to Dr. Brian Christofferson, an endodontist. He attempted some procedure to see if he could stimulate bone growth. Fingers crossed it works. 


Who doesn't love breakfast casserole for dinner out of the trunk of your car? 
We love getting to visit with friends, family and ward members who come to the pageant!




They emphasize keeping the kids quiet backstage during the Atonement scenes. Marcie and I did our best to bring books and treats to occupy the kids.



Elder Schmidt came! 

Olive had a dance competition and convention in downtown Mesa and we were so lucky the times worked out to not interfere with pageant performances. It just meant I spent a couple days blogging in the parking lot. (The venue was so small and crowded). The Mesa Library was around the corner and I needed air conditioning so I moseyed over. I used to LOVE this library. It was a highlight of my childhood. I remember asking what the max number of books I could check out was and getting that many and reading them all. I remember how it smelled and looked. I don't think I've been back since I was a kid. What a trip to walk through those doors! It, of course, is so different. I tried to find Nancy Drew books. Nope. Sweet Valley Twins. Nope. Finally, I found the new version of Babysitter's Club. If there weren't about to close I would sat down to read my bible. Oh well. This place will always be special to me!



I posted about it on Instagram and Kimber's message had me rolling!!! The stake Relief Society president. I love her so much. 

We'd heard that Mike's pizza was legit but when I saw how expensive it was I just ordered one for me and Trav and had the boys pick up Little Caesars for them, haha. They don't appreciate artisan pizza. And honestly, I mean, it was aight. Don't think we'll go back. 




Taking a break for lunch before she goes to convention!

Since Easter was on conference Sunday, we took our family picture on Palm Sunday! And now we kick off Holy Week!






Does holy week include wrestling?
The only day we have off from pageant is Monday, so we had to rearrange things and do our Passover meal then. We invited everyone from our pageant family over but Lisa and her daughter were in NY for the Lamb of God performance at the MET and Jessica got sick. The night was wonderful! I had no idea how funny Morgan Pew was! And the food got eaten which is always nice!





Olive was asked to speak at one of the cast devotionals before the performance. She was pretty nervous. She wrote it all herself, but I helped her add things and tweak it here and there. I thought she did amazing. She got choked up talking about her friend being mean to her and her being vulnerable was powerful. We were not prepared for the way this affected people. Immediately afterward she was surrounded by people complimenting her and thanking her and hugging her and it just continued ALL night and through the rest of the week! One man, who is a convert, said he loves the church so much and goes to multiple wards every Sunday and he said it was the best talk he's ever heard and he was completely serious. He told us multiple times. He wondered if he could have a copy of her talk to study because it was so well written. I just looked at Olive and we shook our heads in amazement. But that's what happens when you speak from the heart and the Holy Ghost is there. It was certainly a highlight of the whole year for us. 










On April Fools Day I was feeling mischievous! I made cake pops out of Brussel sprouts. Collin came home for lunch with his friends and I offered them all one. Collin was the first one to take a big bite. His face was PRICELESS!!  
Jayce realizing what was happening.. haha.

They all got home at different times so I could prank all of them! Olive bit in, realized it and laughed and laughed. She had a good reaction!

Tanner took a bite, realized it and his shoulders slumped and his face fell. So sad! I guess I only got video of Weston. He surprised me and got "mad"! He chucked it into the garbage and said I hate you while laughing. 

Collin wanted to ask Paige to prom but was struggling with an idea on how. He wanted it to be good. He suggested he sit on her porch with Lincoln holding clippers and a poster that said if she won't go to Prom with him he would shave his head. DUMB!! He thought it was so funny. I told him Grandpa has an awesome prince costume and he should show up on a "horse" and have a funny proclamation read and give her flowers or something. He hated it. I said a girl would LOVE it. He called it cheesy and dumb. I persisted and persisted for daysss. I finally wore him down and he got on board. Tanner was the peasant who blew the recorder to start the whole skit. Weston was the page who read the proclamation in a medieval accent. He nailed it! Lincoln was the horse. After Weston read "Here ye, here ye, by royal decree, we have trot many kilometers in our request that Paige Cupps join Sir Collin Evans, slayer of Algebra and conqueror of brain aneurysm at the royal prom. What say ye?" Then amist lost of laughter Paige said yes and Collin said "huzzah!", got off his horse, handed his sword to Weston, walked over and put a tiara on Paige, then whistled and said "peasant!" To which Tanner ran up with flowers and a chocolate covered apple. Collin took them, got down on one knee and handed them to Paige then walked back to his horse, got "on" and he and Lincoln crawled/shuffled away. It was SO FUNNY!! We laughed so hard!! And he now claims he was never serious about the shaving head idea and that he always liked this one. As if!!! I tell you what. 






We tried to trick the Figs with our brussel sprout cake pops but they were too sly!


The day I washed the kids feet as we talked about the Last Supper, Collin told me it was my turn. I almost protested (like Peter!) but then swallowed my pride and took a seat. How sweet is that?! This boy is a love. 


Well looky here! Bron was made an area authority!! We were freaking out!! Travis put it together before it was officially announced. They suspected it because he had an interview like 9 months ago and they told him in December that this was going to happen but they had to keep it a secret til now. He has served as stake president for 6 years. He was set apart over conference weekend by Elder Kearon, of course. Wow. We always knew he'd be an apostle someday but he sure is fast tracking it!


Marcie and I put together gifts for the "backstage ladies" and the 4 directors that turned into quite an endeavor! But I wanted to thank them after all their hard work and love. They have given all of us families little gifts each night and been so wonderful to us.  

Tanner and Landon were hopping on rocks outside the church before a devotional while we finished dinner in the car and I saw Joe Tinney join them. HOW CUTE.

The last weekend is always packed. This was a quick shot I took as we walked backstage after mingling with the crowds. 


Oh, how I adore this picture! My therapist said it hit her hard how every person is shown in such a real stage of shock and grief. Then Christ is there, calmly present, ready to save. 


On Good Friday we did baptisms in the Mesa temple and got our favorite breakfast burritos from the yellow taco shop on Main St. 

These are the gifts we gave to the directors. John and the Pews and Eagers pitched in too. I tried to make them personal but also include gift cards for them to go on a date with their spouse after so many hours dedicated to the pageant. 

I put together Resurrection Roll gifts for my boys to give to their ministering families. 

Did you know there are resurrection plants?! I sure didn't! Found them at Frys. It's a dried out plant you soak in water for several hours then it opens up. 


Drew Hoyt has been another good angel friend for Collin.

On the last night of the pageant, we gathered with our families to take pictures together. Collin had such a good experience with the angels. I'm so glad he got to do that.







This man, Steve Smith, was our "kin" in our scene. 

The last performance is always so sad. It's weird to have it be over after consuming our lives for a solid month. Getting through all the dress rehearsal nights is definitely a sacrifice. I loved the devotionals and musical numbers. Particularly when Bryson and Tierra Jones sung "The Sound of Grace" which is a rendition of Amazing Grace and Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Oh my word it was gorgeous. I will admit, this year was much much harder for me than the past two years. I struggled with dreading our scene. I don't know why. Maybe it's just worn me down after so many times. I really put myself into the mental headspace of a mother whose child has died. I spend the whole scene "acting" worried and stressed and then sobbing and being inconsolable until Christ comes. Often, the switch between devastation and joy is so drastic and stark, it's hard for my body to keep up. It truly feels traumatic. And during dress performances we will run the whole thing several times a night. It's a LOT. I wasn't going to go "all in" on acting it out when we were just marking the scene in the first week of practices, but Dana's husband was backstage and he hissed at me to act more upset and I have to say, that did not go over well with me. Like, how dare you? First of all, you're not in charge. Second of all, say it to my face and lets have a conversation about why I'm choosing to refrain from sobbing 15x tonight while the directors are focusing on placing the mob in the right positions, not on me. I know what I'm doing, thank you very much. When I admitted how much I was struggling with someone, they asked if  Collin's experience in the hospital had anything to do with it. I hadn't considered that. I wasn't consciously thinking about it, but I do think the emotional toll of December two months before a very emotional March does make sense for why I was spent. I felt guilty for dreading the pageant so I tried my best not to show it, but it colored the whole experience for me. My kids loved it and overall it was of course worth it and a meaningful experience. But I sighed with relief when it was over. 

The final night is "strike night" when we are all expected to stay and help take down the sets. This goes on for hours typically and we don't get home til close to midnight or later. But this year they hired a company to do the lights and electrical work so we really only had to do costumes and big stage props. We were all home rather quickly which was SO NICE. Especially since Easter is in the morning!




Best of all.... the BEARD GETS SHAVED!!! HOORAY!!!!!! 
We watched morning conference then went to the cemetery for our devotional in between sessions.





We had the Goodmans and my parents over for dinner and lit our clay lamps!

Everyone made their temples throughout the week.


Shelley played a game where she put a bite of different flavored Peeps in our mouths and we had to guess what kind it was. I rocked at it! I think I got all but one correct. 

The kids had to wait on the stairs while we hid the eggs for the hunt! I did a "teenager" hunt this time. The eggs were filled with letters and they had to run back to the table and piece the letters together to form words. When they formed a word they earned the prize attached to the word. It was designed to take longer than a normal hunt. I think they had fun with it. 






We made our resurrection rolls for FHE since we ran out of time during Holy Week.


I'm documenting my Easter decorations so that next year I don't have to remember where things go!!










No comments: