Well this week was full of surprises- good and bad. On Monday I got a call from one of my best friends from AZ (currently living in Pittsburg where her husband is in dental school) saying she was planning a last minute trip to Buffalo! Hooray! She drove in Tuesday evening with her two kids and stayed until Thursday afternoon. On Wednesday we visited the American side of Niagra Falls...
Collin's first visit to the Falls. (Mom forgot the stroller, so Trav got to lug him around for a couple of hours- oops!)
Then we HAD to take Jess to eat some wings at Duffs. We thought Collin might like a taste of a wing, guess not. KIDDING!! Such a cute family pic, I know. It's the sleepy eye, pitching a fit, sleep deprived combo :)
Well then Thursday brought bad news. Trav's dad had a heart attack early in the morning and so Trav caught a 2:15pm flight home. After I dropped him off at the airport, I had my own little heart attack wondering how I was supposed to wrangle my cute little ball of fiestiness all by myself! Luckily, word spread pretty quick and I had so many friends call to invite me to dinner, offer to help, and express their concern for Trav's dad and our situation. Thank you SO MUCH! Thursday night, the Shaw's brought over a pizza and Rach kept me company on my first night alone. On Friday we had a "play date" at Melissa's house, full of crazy kids and yummy food. Here's a pic of Kandis holding my little guy when she suddenly discovered something wasn't quite right.... His little newborn diaper had slipped off his tiny behind and before I knew it he was "plumin' it!" He has a miniscule tush, just like his dad :)
Then Friday night, Tiff and Creed were kind enough to invite me to dinner. We attempted to make sushi and it turned out delicious! It had been too long since I'd had a Las Vegas Roll!
On Saturday I braved the grocery store and the mall. Of course I drove all the way there and parked when I realized I'd forgotten the darn stroller again!! So my arms got a work out. In the afternoon Collin and I went outside to soak up some rays, but didn't last too long as the wind was determined to blow us away. Saturday night brought games and laughing at the Goodes. Always a good time.
Then on Sunday I decided to take him to church, just for sacrament meeting. I wouldn't call it a success. I spent most of the time in the hall trying to pacify him. At least I got to take the sacrament! Then in the afternoon I listened to him cry while I tried to make food to exchange for food group that night. Poor guy has the hardest time taking naps during the day. I'll admit I was feeling pretty strung out when this happened....
I had just finished cooking the chicken and slicing it on the cutting board, when I went to make one last cut and pushed a little too hard. I didn't realized the board was half way off the counter and in a split second, most of the chicken fell to the ground. Curse words. Luckily, a drawer was open and it caught a good portion of the chicken. Don't worry, my drawers are lined and clean!! But if anyone in food group wants to throw out my casserole, I understand! I wouldn't normally have used it but my poor baby was blue in the face from crying, and I was about to join him. Sunday night, the Gardners invited me over for a Korean dinner (my dad would've loved it). I told Trav, next time we are running low on food, he should just go out of town and I'll be set :) Monday was uneventful, since it rained all day and we stayed indoors. Trav's flight got in at 10pm and thus ended my five days of single parenthood. It will be nice to forget about the Mace I have ready to use in the night stand and to sleep with the lights off in the house. I will say that extreme fatigue probably helped me to not be so alert to house creaks and noises. But I'll just pretend I'm getting braver. My mom told me to use her trick- sleep with a Book of Mormon on your chest with your arms crossed over it. :) My poor mom spent MANY a night alone in a bad neighborhood, while my dad was out of town. I almost tried it, but when I reached down for the book, I realized it was downstairs and I was not about to go down and retrieve it. For those who are wondering, Trav's dad is improving with each day. He's still in intensive care, but his chest tube is out and things are looking better. We have been so blessed, I'm so grateful for so many wonderful friends who looked after me while Trav was gone. ThAnK YoU!
10 comments:
You did have quite the week. I love the pic of you & Collin out on the blanket. How are you liking Pope Joan? I'm glad Travis is back & you don't have to be a single mommy anymore. :) And by the way...you are brave!
I had not heard! I'll keep the Evans family in my prayers!good thing you have so many good friends to take care of you! sounds like you had quite the week!
The day Trav left I wished I went with him! I wanna squeeze Collin, not in a harmful way. And the picture of you two on the blanket is so cute :) SO what I'm thinkin is that since you two are comin down in a few weeks and then back down again for family vaca I'm gonna come sometime betweeen those two... so probably june. IF thats ok of course
Wow! I'm glad you made it through all that! I'm glad to hear that Bro. Evans is doing better. That's really scary to go through. I totally feel for you blankin' out on the stroller though. I do it all the time. I finally gave up and left a baby harness in the car for such emergencies. It helps at the grocery store so I don't have to look around this huge car seat in front of me.
I SO do not care if you used chicken that fell in the drawer/on the floor...TEN SECOND RULE! Wash it off and use it!
I'm glad you survived!! And I'm glad to hear Trav's dad is doing better.
First thing first... Sorry about the heart attack... I am glad things seem to be going better for him. Next, Your Mom is actually onto something... I have been known when I am home alone to sleep with my book of mormon... I know it sounds silly... but always worked like a charm. Next, I wish I lived only 3 1/2 hours away... I miss you! I am glad I got to see you before you headed off to New York... Also, I am glad to see that you are out and about... I have not decided what to do with Elwood and Delilah... it seems like it will be a little hard to take them both outside without Elwood trying to run down the street or something... Well as always I love reading your updates! Elwood is going on a play date today... so when he is gone I will try to post one too!
I am so sorry about your week. AND very sorry to hear about Travis' dad. It was good to see you today. Please let me know if you ever need anything!
I'm sorry about Travis's Dad! I'm glad that everyone is so good to you...it sounds like you have a lot of great friends and neighbors. You are such a cute mommy!
I am glad you have such good friends. We were glad that Travis could be here, but we missed you.
Thanks for being so brave and encouraging Trav to come. It was really good to have him with me those few days. I would have liked to have seen you and Collin but that will happen under better circumstances. I'm glad you have such good friends and support system back there. Isn't the church wonderful!
Post a Comment